DIABESITY is a term that is often used for obese people who are diabetic. The global pandemic of COVID 19 has had an impact on mankind not seen in centuries.
COVID-19 is most significantly affecting people suffering from DIABESITY;
the dual epidemic of modern era.
Reason is multifold:
- Poor immunity,
- State of chronic inflammation,
- More prone to form clots inside body,
- More prone to secondary infections,
- High airway resistance because of obesity and sleep apnea.
So, whenever COVID 19 virus infects these individuals, body responds very poorly leading to a more severe and sustained viral infection.
It is very clear from large number of studies in last one year that individuals affected by DIABESITY are prone to more severe COVID 19 infection with increased risk of complications and death.1, 2, 3
It is time to create awareness amongst general population regarding these facts so that people understand the implications associated with it.
This is especially true in current times when a large number of people are working from home with majority having unhealthy diet and no physical activity.
Apart from optimal precautions in the form of hand washing and wearing mask, people should ensure that:
- Blood sugar levels are kept under check,
- Maintain healthy lifestyle in the form of mild to moderate physical activity for at least 45 minutes five days a week,
- Consumption of healthy diet in form of green leafy vegetables and seasonal fruits.
1.Guarisco, G., Leonetti, F. Covid-19 and diabesity: when a pandemia cross another pandemia. Eat Weight Disord (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s40519-020-00958-9
2.Al-Sabah S, Al-Haddad M, Al-Youha S, Jamal M, Almazeedi S. COVID-19: Impact of obesity and diabetes on disease severity. Clin Obes. 2020;10(6):e12414. doi:10.1111/cob.12414
3.Mohammad, S., Aziz, R., Al Mahri, S. et al. Obesity and COVID-19: what makes obese host so vulnerable?. Immun Ageing 18, 1 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12979-020-00212-x