Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty (ESG) : EVERYTHING THING YOU NEED TO KNOW
Q- I am not losing weight even after following strict diet but I don’t want to undergo surgery, what are the other ways to lose weight?
- Apart from surgery, a person can opt for Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty (ESG). ESG is a non-surgical weight loss procedure which helps in losing weight and helps those individuals who have tried multiple times to loose weight but due to some or other issues have not been successful.
Q- What is Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty(ESG)?
- ESG is a latest type of Endoscopic weight loss procedure which is quite similar to gastric sleeve surgery but it is non-surgical. It helps in losing weight by limiting how much you eat.
Q- How ESG is performed?
- ESG is carried out under the expert guidance of a general anesthesia in endoscopy unit. The entire procedure is done through throat via endoscopic suturing system which doesn’t require any incision or cut . A gastro scope is inserted through throat and advanced to the stomach, after this with the help of endoscopic suturing machine; multiple stitches are placed in the stomach. These stitches reduce the volume of the stomach , and it is adapted in the shape of a tube which results in limiting of food intake.
Q- Who should undergo ESG?
- Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty is available to people whose body mass index (BMI) is above 30, who haven’t been successful in maintaining weight loss with lifestyle modification alone, and who don’t qualify or wish to pursue traditional bariatric surgery.
Q- Who cannot undergo ESG ?
People with stomach problems like severe GERD , gastric ulcer or bleeding disorders, or people who have undergone a surgery previously that would interfere with the suturing process of the stomach cannot go for ESG
Q- How soon can I return to work post ESG?
- Post ESG a person can return to daily routine activities within 1-2 days.
Q- How much weight can I expect to lose after ESG?
- Results vary from patient to patient. However, on average, patients can expect to lose20-27 kgs or 20% of their body weight. Patient need to follow a disciplinary healthy life style post surgery
Q- Is there any pain post ESG?
- You might have some mild discomfort (much less than conventional surgery ) , which will disappear within few days
Q- What will happen to the sutures after healing ?
- Post ESG procedure, the internal sutures will hold the stomach in the new sleeve shape and after the stomach heals, it will remain in the new shape and size. Although the sutures are no longer needed but they will remain in place. Sutures are very thin and small and won’t create any problem.
Q- Are the stitches dissolvable ?
- No, dissolvable stitches will not be strong enough for this type of procedure. These stitches are similar to other internal surgeries where sutures or staplers remain in place.
Q- Is there any effect on fertility after ESG ?
- ESG has favourable effect on fertility , chances of conception increases after weight loss after ESG
Q- When can I return to Normal Diet ?
- It is important to gradually progress the diet in order to heal the stitches. As such, appetite is strongly suppressed after this procedure therefore appetite is not an issue. Basically we advice our patients to be on liquid diet for 1 week progressing to soft and then normal diet
Q- Will my regular activities and exercise routine be interrupted post ESG ?
- During the first week of procedure patient can perform all routine activities , except heavy exercises or heavy weight lifting are not advised (which are allowed 2-3 weeks post procedure)
Q- What are the advantages of ESG?
- It is a short procedure of around 45-50 minutes.
- 4-5 hours post procedure , the patient can start walking.
- Since it is a day care procedure hence patient will be discharged on the same day.
- Post discharge, the patient can perform routine activities from the next day itself.
- Since it is non surgical procedure , it leads to less pain , no cut
- It reduces the incidence / severity of type 2 diabetes , hypertension , obstructive sleep apnea and heart disease.
Q- Is there any disadvantage/ long term side effects associated with ESG?
- The procedure as a whole has shown positive and favourable results with no known disadvantage / long term side effects associated with it.