Obesity is a state of malnutrition. Obese population suffer from both macro and micronutrients deficiencies as compared to general population because of the following reasons: –
- Consumption of calorie dense food
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Easy availability of ready to eat processed food
- Prolonged use of certain medications
- Food preferences (mostly Indians are vegetarian and it leads to iron, Vitamin B12 and protein deficiencies)
Undergoing bariatric procedure doesn’t mean that you will start consuming anything rather you have to do mindful eating. It is utmost important to take proper care of your nutrition post bariatric procedure because of the existing nutritional deficiencies which goes unnoticed before. Therefore, a Nutritionist is there for you to take care of your nutrition throughout this journey.
Diet phase post Bariatric Procedure: –
- Clear Liquid Diet Phase (Phase 1)– For first two days post procedure patients are on clear liquid diet. Initially it is started @ 30ml/hour by gradually increasing it to 60ml/hour.
- Liquid Diet Phase (Phase 2)– After clear liquid diet, liquid diet is initiated for the following 2 weeks @ 150-200ml every waking hour. At this stage protein supplement is also added in the diet.
- Blended/Pureed Diet Phase (Phase 3)– After two weeks of liquids consumption you will be shifted to blended food, basically we call it baby food consistency diet which means it should be blended in such a manner that we will be giving it to the baby who just started weaning . This diet phase will be there for next 2 weeks.
- Soft Diet Phase (Phase 4)- Soft diet is basically soft in consistency which is non spicy and doesn’t include food products which produce gas. A soft diet is easy to digest and this diet phase will be continued for 2 weeks.
- Normal Diet Phase (Phase 5)- This is the final phase in which you can consume solid foods but yes acidic and fried food products must be avoided as they are unhealthy.
Protein supplementation and multivitamins will be continued as we all consume them on regular basis as advised by our physician.
Most important point to be considered is chewing, you must chew your food properly as it will avoid indigestion. You can have a normal diet after few weeks post bariatric procedure.
Clinical Nutritionist and Diabetes Educator
InstaGram – nutritionistgarimakapoor